Our Educational Mission
At First Presbyterian, we believe in a strong educational foundation to further spiritual growth. Our educational programs are geared toward every age--from preschool to older adults.
Bible-based studies are scheduled throughout the year between and following Sunday services, on Wednesday Night at First and other times.
CLICK HERE to view the images used in Pastor Paul's Desert Spirituality presentation.
Penny Andrist (children's) and Gail Benson (youth) are the Coordinators of the PreK - grade 12education.
Both hold Master’s degrees and have been working and teaching as a team for over twenty years, traveling across the country delivering keynotes, workshops and concerts for children and adults. Their work focuses on creating and developing interactive educational materials and experiences for children.
If you have any questions or would like to register for one of our educational programs, please contact them at 701-293-6311 or via email.
We have a terrific group of volunteers offering their time and talent in the education of young children at First Presbyterian for the 2011-12 year!
- Susan Hayer
- Serena Jiskra
- Carrie Lawrence
PreK & K
- Becky Trumbo
- Jenny McLeod
- Brenda Cain
- Nancy Lium
- Cheryl Johnson
- Kim Waale
- Jodi Evanson
- Robin Kee
- Stacey Robinson
- Andrew McLeod
- Becky Koch
- Carol Prafcke
- Ann Ulliman
Quest for Kids
The Sunday morning education hour for children is 9:15 to 10:15. We welcome your children, ages 3 to grade 5, to participate in our grade leveled program where children will have a home room and a team of education leaders that will stay with them throughout the year as we discover Bible stories through various activities and lots of interaction.
Quest for Kids groups are based on current school grade level:
- Pre K and Kindergarten: ages 4 & 5 (by Sept. 1)
- Grades 1 & 2
- Grade 3
- Grades 4 & 5
Programs for Younger Children
- Three-year olds: This group meets downstairs in the nursery suite in their own self-contained space. Preschoolers will hear Bible stories, and participate in music, games and crafts related to the stories. Preschoolers do not participate in the curriculum rotation of Quest, but have their own fun-filled morning with the Bible!
- N-3: The nursery is available for children ages infant to three years old while parents attend Worship and/or Adult Education. Our N-3 rooms have age-appropriate books, music and toys. Children get to know themselves and how to treat others. They learn that God loves them, their teachers love them and how to love each other.
You can be part of our growing education program! Contact Penny in the church office or via e-mail if you are willing to share your gifts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please consider volunteering to help in the following ways:
- Supervise children in the nursery.
- Be on an education team- each home room will have a team of leaders who will divide responsibilities any way you'd like. You decide among your team members who will do what, and when.
- Be a substitute teacher- let us know if you could fill in once in a while.
- Help gather supplies and materials.
- Help prepare materials and samples.
- Help prepare for special events.
- On Sunday December 9, the education hour for all groups will be held in the Social Hall with inter-generational programming. All are welcome to participate. On this date, do not drop your children off upstairs- go downstairs and got to Sunday School with them!
- The Quest kids will be learning songs and participating in the in Carols and Candlelight Christmas program on Sunday, December 16 at 6:30 pm.
- Palm Sunday is another intergenerational experience, with all groups meeting downstairs together to create something beautiful!
- On Easter Sunday, there is no Quest for Kids. Instead, please support our church youth and enjoy the breakfast they make and serve with your family.
The staff here at First Presbyterian has once again partnered with the Fargo Public Schools Foundation and their Adopt-A-School program. We are going into McKinley school to assist with reading programs, tutoring, projects, special events, community service projects, field trips and mentoring. The students benefit from time and expertise of caring adults and teachers appreciate the help.
Are you willing and able to reach out to the students from this underprivileged population? Our participation in this program is not limited to staff – you are invited to become involved.
- Read with children
- Supervise special events
- Lead games or after school activities
- Sponsor milk for a needy child ($27.30 per semester)
- Donate new or gently used tennis shoes, school supplies, caps and mittens, etc.
Questions? Ready to sign up? Penny is coordinating this program. Contact her at email@example.com
Vacation Bible School
Each summer, First Presbyterian Church hosts a Vacation Bible School in early June. We have a fabulous, unforgettable experience together – kids and adults – as we take part in fun Bible-story learning they can see, hear and touch with team-building games, great music, sciency-fun gizmos and more.
VBS is for kids in K – 5th grade. Each evening will begin with a meal at 5:45 and lasts until 7:45. Registration takes place on the last day of Sunday School in May.