Historyfirstpreschurchsm.jpg 

The First Presbyterian Church of Fargo was organized December 30, 1877, 6 years after the Rev. Oscar Elmer began missionary work in Fargo. The city had a population of 700, and the congregation began with 9 people. S. G. Roberts donated a site on the SW corner of 1st Avenue and 8th Street N, on which was built a temporary wood-frame church. It had a seating capacity of 200 and was used for 28 years as membership grew to 259.

A brick building with seating 425 was built on the same site in 1906. This church building was used for 23 years, and during this time, the congregation increased to 1300. When the congregation determined that a new, larger building was needed to accommodate the mission and ministry of the congregation, the members sold the property as a site for a new post office and razed the brick building.

The present gothic, stone church was built in 1929 and dedicated on May 12, 1930. Many necessary repairs and improvements were made in 1985, and for the 125th anniversary in 2002-03, a major building project was undertaken to add new office space; better-equipped meeting and education space; and a spacious and inviting foyer, including a larger elevator to make the church more accessible for everyone.